Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving

Knowing what a crappy year 2010 has been for us, you think it would be difficult for me to be grateful for much this Thanksgiving.  Ironically, I'm more grateful this year than I've been in quite a while.  While I'm not excited to be sitting here, hipless, at 5am injecting another IV, I am actually thankful for this whole experience. 

Prior to the first surgery, I think I had been in a haze of sorts.  Watching TV, being on the computer, not really wanting to take the energy to get up and go anywhere (even outside).  If this whole mess has taught me anything, it's to appreciate every moment and every facet of your being.  Appreciate being able to walk outside with your kids.  Appreciate being able to pick them up in the middle of the night, even when you'd rather be sleeping.  Appreciate being able to grab a photo of a beautiful moment.  Appreciate being able to clean the house.  Appreciate being able to walk.  Period. 

I had a couple of weeks in this whole mess where I was pain free and able to walk when one doctor (turns out erroneously) gave me a cortisone shot.  I now know what I have to look forward to when this is over.  I made the most of those 2 weeks and took Laurel to do lots of fun things, spent time outside with her, even got up with her at night while she was sick and didn't really mind (too much ;)).   I can't wait to be able to do those things again.

I think the thing I am most thankful for this year is that God chose to teach me this lesson using my own body, and not that of my daughter or someone else close to me.  I know there are many ways He could have chosen to get me up off my butt, and I'm glad he chose to sit me on it for awhile to appreciate just what I was missing.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment